September 9, 2011

Step 1: Read 'Getting Things Done' by David Allen

Getting your pastoral life organised
Posts in this series

My system of productivity is largely based on the ideas laid out in the secular book 'Getting Things Done' by David Allen (Available from Amazon). 

This book is widely popular across many work sectors and has sparked numerous internet fan groups that share their tweaking of the system.  And as a pastor, I have found the system to be enormously useful too.

Basically the book teaches you how to gain control of your life as it currently stands by a five stage process of:
(i) collecting;
(ii) processing;
(iii) organising;
(iv) reviewing;
(v) doing.

I believe the organisation component is the heart of the system and basically involves using to-do lists and a calendar. 

In future blog posts I will talk about how I use these two tools in pastoral work.

But for now, I want to encourage all pastors to get a copy of 'Getting Things Done' and read it.  I do think that the wisdom contained in the book is a gift from God.

No comments: