October 22, 2011

Step 3: Start lists of general tasks

Getting your pastoral life organised
Posts in this series

After making a list of tasks that must be done every day, the next thing I think a pastor needs is a collection of lists that keep track of ongoing tasks.

What sort of lists will you have?
Basically you should have lists for different locations and different times.

Regarding locations I have separate lists for when I am at the office, at home and in front of the television (I have to do something while watching TV otherwise it feels like a complete waste of time, so I assign tasks for this location that don't require much thought).  Thus when I'm in one of these locations I look at these lists to remind myself of how I should be using my time.  I also have lists for when I'm out shopping.

Regarding times, I have lists for different meetings with people.  This includes lists for large meetings (at church on Sunday, Elders meetings, members meetings, working bees) but also lists for small meetings with individuals.  Keeping lists for meeting with people is a wonderful way to clear your head.  Many times I have been unable to sleep at night because I am thinking about what I need to say to someone.  But once I have gotten up and written a list of all that I need to say, I am then able to sleep.  I also have lists of ideas for my different blogs for those times when I need to write something for them.

Two other lists should be among your general task lists.  One is a 'Someday/Maybe' list for those ideas that you might one day wish to implement.  And you should have a 'Waiting' list of things that you need to do once a particular criteria is met - usually you're waiting for someone else to do something.

How do you maintain your lists?
If you do not keep on top of your lists, you will eventually abandon the system as it will become chaotic and unworkable.  Thus you need to review your lists regularly, deleting completed items and moving items to more appropriate locations.  So for example a task may be on an 'elders meeting' list but once the meeting has been held, the item may move to the 'office' list for the next part to be completed.

Apart from maintaining the lists each day as you complete and add items, the best way to keep your lists in good order is to sit down once a week and go through them all.  David Allen in his book 'Getting things done' calls this the 'weekly review'.  And it is something that should never be skipped.  Make your weekly review an appointment on your calendar and pretend you're sitting down with your personal assistant to discuss what you need to do over the coming days, weeks, years.

How do you keep your lists?
There are many programs that help you create your various lists.  I primarily use Evernote.  It is free, syncs with my iPhone (so I am never without access to my lists) and it looks a lot like my email program giving it a familiar feel.

Lifehacker has a review of some of the more popular list managers here.

In the end, it is not the program that makes a good list manager, it is the way you use it.

No comments: