December 17, 2011

Step 5f: Calendars - Create a 'Mindless' Tasks calendar

Getting your pastoral life organised
Posts in this series

In this post I want to once more encourage you to have multiple calendars, including a 'Mindless' Tasks calendar.

As a pastor I have found that there are a number of regular tasks that are really simple to perform.  Some can be partially or completely automated by your computer (which I will encourage in later posts).  Some can be passed onto the ever willing volunteers that God gives to your church.  But some mindless tasks you must personally complete week after week.

Now you could perform these mindless tasks as part of your daily routine and include them on your General Tasks calendar.  But I hate wasting good quality time on boring tasks.  So I have a 'Mindless' Tasks calendar that reminds me of tasks to do when I'm doing something else that is rather mindless - usually, watching television.   For me television is entertaining but also a bit of a waste of time.  So it is wonderful to be able to use that time productively - I relax and get things done at the same time.

What goes on your 'Mindless' Tasks calendar?
Some mindless tasks that are on my calendar over the next few weeks include:
-backing up blogs, websites, calendars, email, iphone data, browser preferences etc;
-making Twitter and Facebook posts about church events;
-reading newspapers and blogs;
-recording books I reviewed at church;
-recording member attendance at church;
-posting the bulletin article to the church blog;
-cleaning out my wallet of receipts;
-formatting blog posts for the upcoming week;
-formatting the email order of service for the coming week;
-checking website statistical data;
-changing the wallpaper on my desktop;
-downloading mp3s of sermons on the text I will be preaching on;
-formatting children's worksheets for church.

No comments: